Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Tomorrow's the day

Well, tomorrow's the day. Our weapons (signs) have been readied. The saber rattling was when we called our representatives and senators and told them we disagree with their spending. Lot of good that did! The two sides have positioned themselves. Just today, the media spread the word from the Department of Homeland Security that people who have a strong issue, such as anti-abortion or immigration, are right wing radicals. People who are against the federal government in support of the state or local government are right wing radicals. Disgruntled veterans can be right wing radicals. People who strongly support the second amendment are right wing radicals. Well, . . . I guess that's what we are. That's who we are.

We are armed for the battle by our education and preparation. We have our instructions and plan. Here is what we will do:
Protest the spending.
Yell how we feel.
Stand and wave our signs.
Show our numbers and solidarity.
Wave at drivers who honk.
Chant catchy slogans.
Have fun.
Show off for any cameras.

We will not break the law. We will not engage anyone who tries to push any buttons.

Thus will we prove just how "radical" we are.

I've actually gotten quite comfortable with my new role. I put up fliers last week advertising the Albuquerque Tea Party, but within three days, they all disappeared. All but the one next to my office door. I feel a little bad to have that one there because my office mate doesn't agree with me politically, but at least I won't leave it up forever like she wanted me to allow with some Obama fliers before the election. I don't consider this tea party to be partisan, anyway.

I've told my classes what I'm doing tomorrow. Told them I was protesting government spending. After each of two classes, a student hung around to ask me more details. So maybe they'll join us.

When I say I'm more comfortable, I mean the fear and anger don't wrap my gut into knots, any more. I don't feel the same anxiety that tells me to DO SOMETHING! NOW! Tomorrow is just one battle in what promises to be a war of years. We have to remember that we're in this for the long run and we need to pace ourselves, maintaining our level of energy and enthusiasm for what previously was the sole property of the left: activism.

Part of it, too, is realizing that nothing I do alone and right now will make much difference. It's only going to be through a series of protests, demonstrations, collaborations, and educations that we'll be able to make a difference.

All's quiet . . .

4 comments:

  1. Yes, I see from DHS that we are all terrorists now!

    Tomorrow, we should have our best King rally non-violence manners firmly pinned on. We must, must respond to any provocation with love.

    See you tomorrow, Connie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The DHS report did not surprise me at all. I knew it would only be a matter of time that the liberal Democrats in power would begin the communistic tactic of labeling us as radicals in order to justify persecution later. It has been surprising how FAST they have moved.
    Like you, I am prepared for a long seige, and am committed to being better behaved than our opponents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy,
    Did Lubbock have a tea party? How'd it go? Do you have pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elisheva,
    I think it went great, don't you? No incidents.

    ReplyDelete