Thursday, April 30, 2009

Don't Tell Obama about Quadrillion

I'm terrible with numbers. All my life, I've been strong with words, weak with numbers. For this reason, when my husband and I played darts, I'd be figuring out how much was left on my score, while others would be yelling out the number. I'd just shake my head and keep figuring. If I didn't do it for myself, how would I know it was right? And how would I learn?

Numbers tend to just have symbolic meaning to me. It's like the number 202 on an apartment. The number is a designation, but it doesn't mean amount of (as in two hundred and two apartments). So I find 300,000 to be quite similar to 3,000. To really know the difference, I have to think about it.

The budget that just passed Congress is $3 trillion. Just how much is one trillion?

According to one source, if you spent one million dollars EVERY DAY from year 1 (after Christ's time) to now, you would still not have spent one trillion dollars. It comes to about $734 billion.

Here's another way to look at it. One trillion seconds makes 31,546 years! But I can't really fathom that. A year of seconds becomes more than I can fathom.

This was the best way for me. If you stack up $1,000 bills, one million dollars makes about a four-inch stack. (I confirmed this with my husband who used to deal with stacks of bills.) Now to make one trillion dollars from a stack of $1,000 bills, you need to stack them up to (and over) 63 miles!

The Sandias are approximately one mile high from the valley floor. Sixty-three Sandias stacked up would be level with our stack of $1,000 bills that makes ONE trillion dollars. Triple that, and you've got three trillion.

WHY, WHY, WHY???

1 comment:

  1. Shhhh! You're right. But we should also keep quiet around Congress. :)

    I have always been good with numbers, and when I was doing geology, I got pretty interested in a billion because geologists think about deep time, going back 65 million years takes us to the Laramide Revolution and the rise of the Rockies. Going back 4.6 billion, and you get to the beginning of the solar system. Going back a trillion--the universe as we know it did not even exist, nor did time.

    Given that, I think it is safer to not even deal with trillions!

    ReplyDelete