Saturday, March 7, 2009

The future's looking up

"Hey, you guys can tell me where a teacher's office is?" The questioner was a big guy, rough around the edges, tatooed, longish black curls only semi-tamed by a bandana.

We looked up from our lunch discussion. We were all teachers.

"Who's your teacher?" someone asked.

"Ah, he's not my teacher. Michael Geinger. He's my counselor. He's gonna get me some education. I just got out of prison," the man answered, grinning, "and he's gonna help me out."

"Okay," Robin said, "he's in KC 16. Do you know where that is?" As a shake of his head, she continued, waving with her arms like a stewardess with each part of her directions. "You go down this hallway, then take the elevator to the third floor and go straight out of the elevator --"

"Is it that complicated?" he interrupted.

"Yes. It is."

When she finished her directions, the man repeated, "Elevator, straight. Okay, I got it."

Then just before leaving, he said to another of my colleagues, "Hey, I like your hair."

"Thank you," she replied.

As he lumbered down the hallway, his long trench coat flowing, we chuckled.

This is the kind of student we often get. They're gonna get them some education. They're glad to be out and hopeful for the future. Socially, they may not always behave appropriately, but because of their positive attitude, they're fun to be around. I hope I see this guy in my class sometime.

1 comment: