Friday, March 27, 2009

A Conservative Teen

We had another meeting between the 912 groups from Rio Rancho, Albuquerque, and the East Mountains last night. About 30 of us met at the fittingly-named Independence Grill on Montgomery to discuss the Declaration of Independence and the 9 principles. And we named ourselves Liberty New Mexico.

Many people spoke up in the discussion, bringing up their concerns, speaking passionately. We even broke into approving applause after a couple of people spoke. Claudia, an immigrant from Guatemala, made everyone tear up when she said, "I wish I had been born here. People don't understand what freedoms you're losing." Her passion was infectious.

The other was Beck, one of the teenagers who attended. He struggled with what he wanted to say. He didn't speak with the eloquence of Claudia. After he stumbled over several phrases that expressed what he was feeling, he ended with how mad he was at what was happening, and he sat down. And we burst into applause.

Two weeks earlier, Beck spoke to our East Mountain 912ers, once in the course of the meeting. And we applauded him then, too.

I think I understand the response. When all these adults tell each other how concerned they are, that's to be expected, at least from informed people. But to hear about it from a young person is to hear our future. That's who we are fighting for -- our children. But if THEY don't care, what does it matter? I know my own children (young adults) are concerned, as well. But not enough to make time for the meetings. Maybe they'll join me in the Albuquerque tea party protests. Maybe not.

There were several teenagers at the meeting, but Beck was the only one who spoke. He represents our hope.

Beck, keep speaking up. Keep working on how to express yourself. I know how it is. I used to have so much trouble identifying my feelings that when I spoke out on any topic I cared about, I'd stammer and stutter and start over several times. It took lots of work and years of time to be more clear about my feelings. Teenagers, just because of their age and hormones, have confused feelings and therefore have more trouble expressing themselves. But when you speak, Beck, we see our own children in you. You give us hope.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Connie,

    This is a short comment just to let you know that I have been reading your blog regularly. However, I don't have a lot of time right now to comment. I am busy with Passover, and also trying to get going with the book group and trying to figure out what is going on with our East Mountain group.

    I added your blog to the list of those I follow because that way, I will not miss a post.

    I may be lurking a lot, though, until after the Tea Party! :)

    ReplyDelete